Monday, March 22, 2010

Kick Serves - Top Spin or Twist?


If any of you have ever played me in doubles or singles you know which serve I prefer...I like to hit an extreme twist serve. I opened up my e-mail and had my special digital copy of Tennis Magazine. The issue was titled " 20 Greatest Tips Ever". I can always use a tip about playing better tennis. Tip # 2 was on the Kick Serve. I watched the video, read the article and decided since I had most of the week off it was a good day to teach my daughter and myself the topspin kick serve.

My daughter has my twist serve, but soon both of practiced hitting the topspin kick serve. It was a good fit for both of use because both of us like to put alot of spin on our serves. According to about.com alot of players prefer to use spin on their serves.

Most tennis pros hit either topspin or twist on more than 90% of their second serves. The reason is simple: at any given serve speed, the heavy topspin in both kick serves allows the server to hit at a much safer height. Without topspin, a second serve has to either clear the net within a dangerously small margin or travel at such a slow speed that it sets the receiver up to attack. With topspin, a serve can be hit at over 100 mph, clear the net by as much as four feet, and still drop into the service box, where it then bounces well above the receiver's comfort zone.

Of the two kick serves, the twist is the harder to return, because its sidespin makes it curve to the receiver's right in the air and then jump to his left on the bounce. Even experienced players often have trouble accurately anticipating where this combination of curves will ultimately put the ball.

So remember you're never too old to learn a new serve, below is the link to Tennis Magazine's Special Digital Issue.http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416120098&rf=USTA_EMAIL&o=ext
By: Jason Summers

No comments: